The City of Lakes
Nainital, “the city of lakes,” is a picturesque hill station located in the foothills of the Kumaon range in Uttarakhand. The tranquil city draws both national and international guests, is one of the most popular hill stations in India, and is considered to be a paradise for nature lovers and adventure seekers. Nainital’s lifeline is its Naina Lake; a boat ride through its tranquil waters is also a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Major tourist attractions in the city are Naina Devi temple, Hanuman Garhi for the religious, Mall road and Tibetan market for the shopaholics, Naini Lake, Nainital Zoo, and Jim Corbett National Park.
Nainital is guaranteed to create an impression on you, whether you wish to go boating in the gorgeous Naini Lake or eat some Garhwali and Kumaoni specialities.
1. Boating: Do not miss to enjoy a boat ride on the famous Naini Lake when exploring Nainital. Boating in Nainital is one of the top things to do here. You can enjoy this activity from 6 in the morning to 6 in the evening. This boat ride would be filled with beautiful scenic views, and you can take a look at the snow-covered peaks of Nainital too.
Time: 6 am to 6 pm
Price: Approx INR 150 (round trip)
2. Trek to Tiffin Top: Complete a 4 km trek to reach Tiffin’s Top and get ready to see the most beautiful sunrise of your life. Watching the sunrise from Tiffin top is the topmost thing to do in Nainital, which is famous among tourists. The beautiful peaks of the Himalayan Range would be a plus point, along with the mesmerizing sunrise.
Time: 6 am to 6 pm
Nearby things to do – Cycling
3. Shopping at Tibetan Market: Do not miss shopping in the famous Tibetan Market of Nainital. Experience the local Tibetan culture here and shop for items like Tibetan bags, dresses, wooden items, jewelry, famous shawls, etc. Explore this market and shop for souvenirs from here for your loved ones waiting back at home.
Time: 9:30 am to 9 pm
What to shop for – Jewelry, & Tibetan bags.
4. Explore Mall road: Explore Mall road in Nainital is one of the favorite things tourists enjoy here. Mall road in Nainital connects Mallital and Tallital, the two major points of the city. You can take evening strolls here and enjoy the happening environment on this road. If you are fond of candles, do not forget to add some to your Nainital collection.
Shop – Best candles.
5. Visit Naina Devi temple: Naina Devi Temple is a Shaktipeeth built by the Naini Lake in Nainital. Visit this one of the popular spots on your Nainital trip. You can have a peaceful time here with your family or loved ones. Soak in the spiritual environment here, and pray to Naina Devi goddess here.
Operating Timings: 4am to 10pm
Best time to visit – September to October
6. Enjoy the Nainital ropeway ride: Enjoy a beautiful ropeway ride to the snow view point from the main city. This activity is one of the best things you can do at Nainital in December. Catch a bird’s eye view of the majestic hill station and get mesmerized by the scenic views of the snow-capped peaks on your way. Undoubtedly, this would be a memorable experience for you.
Price: INR 150 (adults) INR 100 (children)
1. Cheena Peak: It is popularly known as the Naina Peak, is undoubtedly one of the best tourist places in Nainital. This is a paradise for trekking lovers. Enjoy a mesmerizing bird’s eye view of the beautiful lake city from the highest hilltop. This is a must-visit place.
Things to do: Trekking
Timing: 8am to 5pm
2. Sariyatal: Popular for its lakes, another beautiful lake you can visit and explore in Nainital is Sariyatal. This beautiful jade green lake is another good place to visit in Nainital. Its serene atmosphere, cooling weather, mesmerizing landscapes, photogenic backdrop, beautiful botanical garden, and more makes it a must-visit place.
Things to do: Boating
3. Khurpatal: Enjoy a beautiful ropeway ride to the snow view point from the main city. This activity is one of the best things you can do at Nainital in December. Catch a bird’s eye view of the majestic hill station and get mesmerized by the scenic views of the snow-capped peaks on your way. Undoubtedly, this would be a memorable experience for you.
Things to do: Camping
4. Nainital Ropeway: If you are exploring Nainital, you must try a ropeway ride. The Nainital Ropeway is one of the best things you will experience on your trip. The ride is filled with mesmerizing scenic views and a lot of excitement. One can witness the most surreal views of the gorgeous lake city above the sky.
Timing: 10:00am to 4:00pm
5. Lands End: Lands End is the perfect place for you to enjoy a stunning view of this lake city from a hilltop. You will be stunned to see the beautiful views of Khurpatal, small villages, and pine forests from here. You need to cover a short distance of 4 km to reach here, either by walking or enjoying a pony ride.
Things to do: Horse Ride & Trekking
6. Bhimtal Lake: A famous lake in the town of Bhimtal, it is the largest lake in the Kumaon Region. Located amidst beautiful green mountains, this is a very famous tourist spot. You can enjoy evening strolls around the lake, boating, or bird watching here. Bird watching is a favourite activity of tourists visiting here in the Autumn and Spring seasons.
Things to do: Boating
March to June is the best and most beautiful time to visit Nainital as the climate is favorable to travel. The average temperature of this hill station during these months ranges from 12 to 22 degrees Celsius, Which feels cold in the summertime.
By Train – The nearest railway station to Nainital is Kathgodam Railway Station, located about 35 km from Nainital. Kathgodam Railway Station has good connectivity to major cities like Delhi, Lucknow, Kanpur, Agra, Bhopal, Kolkata, Mumbai, and Howrah and has daily trains to Delhi. Some of the trains that operate from Kathgodam station include Ranikhet Express, Uttar Sampark, Kranti Express, Bagh Express, Dehradun Kathgodam Express, and Avt KGM Shatabdi Express. There is a taxi stand opposite Kathgodam railway station from where you can book any cab to Nainital. Here is the schedule of some daily and week-long trains:-
By Road – Nainital has good road connectivity. Kathgodam and Haldwani are the two main bus stations located near Nainital. The bus station has direct buses running from metro cities including Delhi & Lucknow and other major cities like Dehradun and Haridwar. Cabs & rickshaws are the option to travel further from the bus station to Nainital.
By Air – Pantnagar Airport is the nearest airport to Nainital, located about 60 to 65 km from Nainital. Taxis are easily available from Pantnagar airport to Nainital, and you can take a cab here to reach Nainital.
Nainital is one of the best places to visit in India. Surrounded by mountains, this place makes the vastness of Naini Lake in particular. You will get majestic views of Naini Lake, a chance to see the Mall Road, try paragliding in Bhimtal and visit Kausani.
Known for its many natural attractions and pleasant seasonal climate, Nainital is a beautiful hill station in Uttarakhand. Nainital tourist attractions include boating, ancient temples, British-built structures, and stunning panoramas in every step.
Summer(March to June) is the best time to visit Nainital. As the weather is pefect for sightseeing and travel.
A 2 Night 3 days Nainital Weekend tour will cost you Rs 11,500 per person. The price includes stay, meals, transfers & Sightseeing.