Rishikesh – The land of sages!
Rishikesh, a serene and spiritual town located at the foothills of the lofty Garhwal Himalayas is well known for being an all-in-one location for tourists. For spiritual seekers, there are several ashrams that guide people in ancient forms of yoga, meditation, music, and vipassana to heal and de-stress their souls. And at the same, it also offers adventurous activities like bungee jumping, river rafting, camping and giant swing which fill your trip with enjoyment.
1. Ram Jhula:- The yoga capital of India, “Rishikesh” offers you a beautiful bridge to explore and enjoy – “Ram Jhula”. Ram Jhula is a famous 450 feet long bridge adjoining the Sivananda Ashram with Swarga Ashrams.
2. Kunjapuri Temple:- The abode to “Maa Kunjapuri”, Kunjapuri has spectacular views and mesmerizing landscapes. Thousands of travellers visit and worship this temple as one of the 52 “Shaktipeeth” in Uttarakhand.
Neer Garh Waterfall:- It is the best place to visit with your friends. If you are an adventurer who loves to trek, you can enjoy a beautiful hike to the Neer Garh Waterfall by performing a one-day tour from Shivpuri.
4. Mohan Chatti:- One of the famous rishikesh camping sites Mohanchatti is located just 22 km from the main town of Rishikesh. It offers three exciting adventures: Bungee Jumping, Giant Swing and flying fox.
5. Triveni Ghat:- One of the most renowned attractions of Rishikesh is Triveni Ghat. Being the biggest Ghat in Rishikesh, “Maha Aarti” / “Ganga Aarti” is performed every evening, attracting a massive crowd of tourists. Also visit local market which is nearby.
6. Tera Manzil Mandir:- Tera Manzil Mandir is one of the most renowned temples of Rishikesh. The temple has eye-catching architecture, made up on the banks of the river Ganga. Visit laxman Jhula which is nearby.
The Winter season (October- February) is considered the best time to explore the richness of this city. Since summers here are too hot and humid, and in monsoon season, you cannot enjoy most of the adventurous water sports.
You can reach Rishikesh via bus, train, and flight.
By Bus – Rishikesh ISBT is the main bus station in the city. The roads are well connected with Delhi and other major cities. The Route is Delhi → Haridwar → Rishikesh. All luxury & normal buses are available from Delhi to Rishikesh. Check out bus schedules for Rishikesh.
By Train – If one is coming by train, the nearest railway station is “Yog Nagri Railway Station”. The Rishikesh railway connectivity is good with major cities in India. One can always take an e-rickshaw and cab to reach their destination thereafter. Check out train schedules for rishikesh.
By Flight – The nearest airport is Jollygrant Dehradun Airport which is just 15 km from Rishikesh city. Cabs and state transport buses are constantly available to take you to Rishikesh. Here you can check out flight schedules.
The city of yoga – Rishikesh has gained worldwide fame for many reasons. The top two reasons are:-
Reaching Rishikesh by road is the easiest and most comfortable way. Rishikesh is around 270.3 km away from Delhi. You can easily reach Rishikesh, covering this distance by road in approx. 5.5 hours via NH334.
The weather in April stays quite warm across the country. The same goes with Rishikesh. Around this time, you will experience a warm climate here. The average temp stays at 86 F. April is also considered the best time to visit Rishikesh because of the huge popularity of water sports here.
Adventure sports including bungee jumping, flying fox, river rafting, giant swing, camping, hot-air ballooning and local sightseeing including visit to Ram Jhula, Lakshman Jhula, Beatles Ashram, Neer Garh Waterfall and attending Maha Ganga aarti at Triveni Ghat are some of most famous things do in Rishikesh. See full list here.
3-4 days are considered sufficient to explore Rishikesh. A 3 night/4 days package is what most people opt for. You can cover the major sightseeing points and enjoy adventure activities these days.
March to May and September to November is the best time to visit Rishikesh. You can enjoy water-related activities easily around this time, as the water levels stay high during the Monsoon in Rishikesh. These seasons are the most active and tourist’s favourite throughout the year.
Tapovan, Shivpuri, and Neelkanth Road are the best areas in Rishikesh to book a stay at. You will get the best camping, hotel & lodge facilities here in these areas across Rishikesh. These are the favourite spot for tourists to find decent accommodations at an attractive price.