Sam Sand Dunes is located 36 km from Jaisalmer city. It is a land of endless dunes and stunning sunsets. The rays of the evening sun reflect the natural glow through the dunes. The local culture here has always been one of brotherhood and hospitality. Sam Sand dunes has many camping sites with majestic views of the Thar Desert. The campsites offer luxurious accommodations, food, and adventurous activities.
The best time to visit Sam Sand Dunes is during the winter, from October to March. The weather is more relaxed and more comfortable during these months. Plus, it becomes easier to enjoy outdoor activities with camping. During the summer months, temperatures in the desert can exceed 100 F (45 °C) during the day, and below 10° C at night. The rainy season comes up with high heat and heavy rainfall, which can hinder any outdoor activities you might be doing.
The Sam Sand Dunes is undoubtedly surrounded by stunning desert scenery. The major attractions in Sam Sand Dunes are:-
1. Camel Safari – One of the best activities in the Thar Desert is camel safari. It is the best way to explore life in the desert. Camels are desert ships and the best means of transport in the desert. On a camel safari near Sam sand dunes, you will visit some of the local places and in the evening your ride will come to an end after sunsets. There are many camel safari points in Sam, which charge only 500 to 1500 rupees per person. Sam and Khuri are two best places to enjoy camel safari in Jaisalmer.
2. Desert Jeep Safari: One of the most popular activities in Sam is Desert Jeep Safari. Jeep safari is a great way to explore the Thar Desert. Evening time is the best time for Desert Jeep Safari as you’ll get to witness the beautiful sun setting behind the sand dunes. Jeep Safari allows you to see the local villages, culture, and sightseeing of Rajasthan. It is recommended to try desert safari once in Jaisalmer.
3. Dune Bashing: Driving on sand dunes fast or slow is called dune bashing. Within a short period, this practice became very popular in the desert areas of Rajasthan. Dune bashing is the best way to get to know the desert life up close with a panoramic view of the spectacular sunset. Like Khabha, Dedha, and Salkha, places around Sam are quite famous for trying Dune Bashing.
4. Desert Festivals: Rajasthan has been the center of traditional culture, dance, music, food, and many festivals. The Desert Festival is a major festival in Jaisalmer starting around January or February every year. It is the best attraction to enjoy the glorious heritage of the desert. Campsites like Sam and Khuri are well known for organizing these festivals. Activities like Rajasthani folk culture, camel rides, and folk dances keep the tourists engaged during the festival.
5. Camping: Camping at Sam Sand Dunes is ideal for all age groups who want to spend time in solitude. Camping in Sand Dunes is a major attraction for tourists who visit Jaisalmer for the panoramic views of the setting sun. Outdoor activities like camel safari, jeep safari, and Parasailing add to the charm of camping.
1. Maharaj Desert Camp: Nestled in the brown dunes, this campsite welcomes you to the world of the desert. A perfect desert camp to enjoy the desert life. The campsite was made for a spectacular view of the sunset. There are about 8 to 10 camps in this complex, which are covered with sheets of light brown and white colored tents. The food is served in Arabic style, which has a flavor of the folk culture of Jaisalmer.
2. Prince Desert Camp: Prince Desert Camp is a wonderful camp surrounded by the beauty of nature. Presenting itself in grandeur, this camp reflects the charm of an oasis in the desert. There are about 15 to 20 campsites scattered with some gaps. A gentle view of the setting sun can be seen from here. There are many luxury and deluxe rooms with attached bathrooms for those who consider a comfortable stay their priority.
3. Limra Desert Camp: Limra Desert Camp in Sam is a tranquil haven set amidst the golden sands of the Thar Desert. Here you can take in breathtaking panoramic views of sunrises and sunsets from its luxury tents, tastefully decorated to blend traditional Rajasthani design with modern amenities. Plus, their friendly staff adds to this tranquil haven’s welcoming atmosphere.
4. Sky Desert Safari Camp: Sky Safari Camp is an idyllic camp set amidst the endless dunes of the Thar Desert. It offers its guests breathtaking views of the magnificence of nature. As evening approaches, the sky turns into an array of colors creating a breathtaking panoramic view. This lavish camp is designed with traditional Rajasthani designs and modern amenities for an immersive experience. Sky Desert Safari Camp offers guests a truly picturesque setting.
5. Winds desert camp: Winds Desert Camp in Sam is a magical retreat that immerses you in the beauty of nature. The sky becomes a stunning canvas of warm hues as the sun sets. The sands of the desert begin to glisten attractively. The camp has luxurious tents decorated with traditional Rajasthani motifs. Another important role heaters play in optimizing the room temperature. Each guest is warmly welcomed, adding to the charm of this oasis in the desert.
6. Oasis Desert camp: Surrounded by the sandy cover of the Thar, Oasis Desert Camp is a haven for peace and relaxation. As the sun goes down, a vibrant palette of colors is revealed for a breathtaking display. The camp offers an arrangement of luxury tents and Swiss tents designed with traditional decor for the guests. In the evening, a music-filled party immerses the campground in celebration. It is an ideal place to appreciate nature.
There are three major ways to reach Sam Sand Dunes sites:-
By Air: The nearest airport is Jaisalmer Airport, which is approximately 56 km from Sam. Jaisalmer is well connected by air to all major cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Jaipur, Kolkata, and Bangalore. If you travel from any city in India, you have to come to Jaisalmer first. After reaching Jaisalmer, you can choose a local taxi or bus to reach the Sam Dunes sites.
By Train: Jaisalmer Railway Station is the nearest railway station to Sam. This railway station connects major cities like Jodhpur, Jaipur, Pokhran, Barmer, Nagaur, and Ajmer. You can take trains from nearby major cities to reach Jaisalmer.
By Road: The best way to reach Sam Sand Dunes is by road. Many local buses are plying daily from Jaisalmer to Sam sites, by catching which you can reach Sam Dunes sites.
Sam Sand Dunes is famous for its spectacular desert camping, camel safaris, jeep safaris, parasailing, folk cultural performances, and traditional food. This place offers a unique opportunity for visitors to experience the desert landscape. It is also known for its breathtaking views of the sunset over the sand dunes, a popular attraction for visitors.
Each Campsite at Sam Sand Dunes is a great campsite on its own. However, as per reviews by our guests, the best campsites are Maharaj Camp, Prince Desert Camp, Limra Desert Base Camp, Sky Desert Safari Camp, and Karni Desert Camp.
The cost of camping at Sam Sand Dunes depends on the amenities and luxuries of the Campsite. Some approximate prices for a camping stay with basic amenities are:-
Standard Swiss Tent – This is a basic tent with twin beds and an attached bathroom. Some basic amenities like Music Party, Bonfire (Winter) are included with the stay.
Deluxe Swiss Tent – This is a giant comfortable tent with a double bed, sitting area, and attached bathroom. The cost of a night’s stay can range from Rs.
Luxury Tents – These are spacious, air-conditioned tents with king-size beds, sitting areas, en-suite bathrooms, and other modern amenities.
October to March is considered the best time to go camping at Sam Sand Dunes. By this time, the monsoon is gone, and the weather remains pleasant and moderate for a desert camping experience. The average temperature is around 23 °C which is ideal for exploring Sam.
Sam Sand Dunes and Khuri are two popular tourist places in Jaisalmer. Both sites offer similar activities like desert camping, camel ride, jeep safari, and parasailing. Distance-wise, Khuri is far away from Jaisalmer as compared to Sam. The dunes at Khuri are more picturesque and less crowded than at Sam. The choice between Sam and Khuri depends on your personal preferences and interests, if you like to visit a place where the crowd is more then Sam is a better option. On the other hand, if you’re looking for a serene place for camping then Khuri should be your goto place.