Nature’s abode of paradise, Kheerganga, is a place where you may lose your soul forever. It is situated at the height of 2950m in the Parvati Valley, clasped by the mighty Himalayas. During the kheerganga trek expedition, Parvati Valley was discovered. Therefore, Kheerganga is one of the most well-known trekking destinations. It has a history attached with the Hindu mythology, associated with Lord Shiva’s abode. Kheerganga or khirganga, which literally means “milky white sacred water.” The kheerganga trek is also named after the kheerganga river. The locals believe that Lord Shiva’s son Karthik came to Kheerganga and meditated for thousands of years.
Kheerganga Trek: Highlights
- Situated at the height of 2950m, beautifully resting under the mighty Himalayas.
- Rejuvenating hot water spring dip to relax your inner soul.
- Camping under the starry night sky surrounded by beautiful mountains.
- A night with like-minded people near a bonfire and tempting meals.
Kheerganga Trek: Details
To start the journey of the Kheerganga trek, one must reach the starting point “Barshaini.” The trekking distance from Barshaini to Kheerganga is 9-10 km. You will experience many steeps & lows and major highs and descends throughout the trek.
There are three routes to go to Kheerganga peak from Barshaini:
- Nakthan Route: This is the shortest route to reach Kheerganga, which takes around 3-4 hours with a person’s average speed to reach the destination. The route lies on the left side of the Parvati river and is well marked by trekkers.
- Kalga Route: walk towards the right side of the bridge in Barshaini, and move towards Kalga village. This route is surrounded by dense forests and used by locals.
- Tosh Route: The trekking path is different from Tosh Village. If you go by this route, you will get connected to the Nakthan village (first route). The Tosh River flows by this village and joins the Parvati river in Pulga. This route is mostly used by the travellers who stayed in Tosh for one night and planned to trek to Kheerganga the next morning.
Kheerganga trek is famous for the hot water spring and the magnificent valley. After a tiresome trek, bathe in the hot water spring and capture the spellbound vistas of the exquisite valley. During the trek, you will come across the scenic beauty of Nakthan village and Rudranag temple.
- Starting Point – Barshaini
- Ending Point – Barshaini
- Duration: 3-4 hours
- Difficulty Level: Easy to moderate
- Cost: Rs 1249 only
- Total Distance: 12 km
- Altitude: 2950 m
- Temperature: In Day: 8°C to 15°C; and Night: 0°C to 3°C
- Last ATM: In Kasol/Bhuntar
- No Mobile Network: BSNL network works best.
Kheerganga Trek: Itinerary
Day1: Start your trek from Barshaini to Kheerganga
Meeting point: Barshaini
- Gear up for the 12 km long trek to Kheerganga, which will take around 3-4 hours to reach the final destination.
- You will experience the green picturesque of apple orchards while you go beyond the gentle inclination of the path. After walking some distance, you will find yourself surrounded by dense Oaks and Deodars. The soothing burble of the river Parvati will embark you on this journey.
- When you reach Kheerganga, set up your camp and relax for a while amidst the greenery.
- Take a dip in the hot water spring of Parvati Kund, as this experience will add a cherry on the top to your Kheerganga trek.
- After exploring the enchanting valley, you must be really tired after an enthralling trek. Get back to your camp to have delicious meals served in the tents. A night with your friends and fellow travelers beside a bonfire, music, and starry night will foregather these special moments in a special place in your heart.
Day 2: Return Trek from Kheerganga to Barshaini
- Open your eyes to the exquisitely gorgeous sunrise in Kheerganga. Witness mild sunlight falling in leaves, and chilly cold breeze will gear up your day firmly.
- Have your breakfast at the campsite, and then get ready to trek back to Barshaini through Parvati Valley.
- Meanwhile, stop by Nakthan and Rudrnag to grab some food and additional supplies. These villages draw a mindful canvas of scenic landscapes.
- Voila! You've come to the end of this trek. After reaching Barshaini, you can explore Tosh or directly catch a bus or cab to Kasol.
- Stay- Sharing tents
- Meals - Breakfast and Dinner
- Trek Permits
- Experienced guide during the trek
- Any personal expenses
Things to Carry
- Enough warm clothes, as the weather is really cold during nighttime.
- Valid ID
- Water bottles.
- Candies, energy bars, and snacks provide energy during the trek.
- Hiking shoes
- Mosquito repellent
- Necessary toiletries
Important Things to Know before going on Kheerganga Trek
- If you need any additional supplies for the journey, you can buy them from Barshaini before starting your trek to Kheerganga.
- Travel with light luggage. The less you carry, the more you enjoy.
- Delay may be caused due to extreme weather conditions.
- Do not litter here and there during the trek. Fine may impose if anyone is found to do so.
- There are several shortcuts on the entire trek, and it is well-advised not to take any of them.
- Remember to keep adequate water with you and not empty it before reaching kheerganga.
- Instead of buying packed water, you can refill your bottles in the natural streams.
- There are no mobile and laptop common charge points. It is advised to bring your power banks.
- Forest entry charge- Rs 50 extra.
- This trek is not recommended for children under 7 years old.
- Mobile connectivity is not good in those areas. It is better to inform your close ones before the trekking.
- If you have serious health issues or breathing problems like Asthma, this is advised not to undertake this trek.
- The operator reserves all the right to modify the trek during any emergencies or natural calamities.
- Strictly follow the rules of state government regarding Covid 19 protocols. Maintain social distancing and sanitize your hands regularly.
Starting Point - Barshaini
To reach Barshaini, you have to reach Bhuntar first. Bhuntar is the village from where the road is further forked to Parvati valley. It is the point where the Beas and Parvati river confluence occurs. From this point, you will get local cabs and buses easily, which will take around 2-3 hours to reach Barshaini. It is also advised to get necessary supplies from Bhuntar while waiting for your bus. There is no ATM and other shops in Barshaini, so you can withdraw some cash and have your breakfast to cope up your time.
FAQs about Kheerganga Trek
Kheerganga trek is completely safe as the safety of travellers is our utmost priority. Highly experienced guides are provided to guide you throughout the journey. So please listen carefully to the instructions of the guide. And don’t take any shortcuts as you may lose trekking path and get lost in the woods.
The trek is relatively easy for beginners, even for first-timers. The initials of the trek are very easy, but gradually it needs some tricks and turns to overcome the obstacles.
The best time to do the Kheerganga trek is during April, May, June, September, October, and November. The weather remains pleasant during this time. Everything is covered under snow during winters, and the beauty enhances from October to February. The temperature remains 3 °C to 15 °C. And during summers, the temperature remains from 15 °C to 28 °C. Quite pleasant weather!
- The total distance of the Kheerganga trek is 12 km long from Barshaini.
There are no luxury accommodations in Kheerganga top. It is basic camping in nature. However, one can purchase shared spaces at Rs 100-200 per person.
Kheerganga is all famous for its adventurous trekking and camping activity. Kheerganga trek is one of the easiest treks in Himachal Pradesh which is suitable for beginners. The captive beauty of the valley attracts many tourists and travellers around the country.
Yes, the Kheerganga trek is open in January, and it offers splendid views. It is the time where you can witness the pearly white snow and beat the spine-chilling breeze in the air. Trekking this month is a little difficult as the mercury meters drop too low and make the experience a little difficult.
The height of the Kheerganga top is 9700 feet.
The distance of Tosh to Barshaini is just 4-5 km, and you can cover it in about 15-20 minutes. You can also cover it by walking. Then from there, you can start your trek to Kheerganga. Or you can directly start your trek from Tosh village, which will further connect you to the Nakthan village route junction.
The distance between Kasol and Kheerganga is 22 – 23 km. Kasol is the meeting place of incredible treks. Once you arrive at Kasol, you will be getting plenty of buses and shared cabs or local cabs, which take you to Barshaini. It is located 16 km away from Kasol. From Barshaini, you can reach Kheerganga via Kalga village or Nakthan village. Both the routes require trekking and climbing.
Kheerganga is 541 km from Delhi. To reach Kheerganga from Delhi, you have to reach Bhuntar first near the Kullu district of Himachal Pradesh. From there, you can take a cab or Local bus to Barshaini (starting point to the kheerganga trek). Then it is a trek around 10 km from here till kheerganga.
By air: The nearest airport is Bhuntar airport. Take a direct flight from Delhi and reach Bhuntar. Then, take a local bus or taxi to reach Barshaini.
By road: Take a bus from Delhi and get down to Bhuntar. Get a local bus to reach Barshaini, which is the nearest stop to Kheerganga.
By train: The nearest railway stations are Joginder Nagar and Chandigarh Railway stations. Take a direct train from Delhi and reach Bhuntar. Get a taxi or local bus from outside the railway station and reach Barshaini, from where you can start your trek to Kheerganga.